Sunday, March 18, 2007

They Model the Behavior They See That Gets What They Want

Friday, Eric Alterman posted this:

"I was playing foosball with an 8-year-old the other day, and the score miraculously changed while I was answering the phone. We had a talk about cheating and how the reputation of being one can ruin a person's life, and she replied: 'But what about George Bush? Everyone knows he's a liar and a cheater and he has a great life.'"

My eighteen year-old learned a great deal from high school debate and Ann Coulter's books. It isn't about facts and truth, Dad, it's about winning and destroying your opponent in the process. I love it when I can make my opponent cry. This kid lies constantly about things important and unimportant. No amount of discussion or loss of privileges has changed that behavior. Why? "Because I win lots more than I lose."

My kid idolizes Republicans and their spokespeople. Why? "Because they're winners, Dad. They may not have hearts or souls, but they've got everything. They've got it all. I want it all and I want it now."

My wife and I model empathic, responsible, and only moderately materialist behavior. Our behavior has no effect. We are losers.

No comments: